Zucchini/Herb Pate Recipe
- 4 medium zucchini (about 1 pound)
- 2 teaspoons tarragon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 cup packed fresh parsley sprigs
- 1/2 cup minced chives
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Line a bowl with a double thickness of cheese cloth. Coarsely shred zucchini into prepared bowl. Sprinkle with the vinegar, sugar and 1 teaspoon salt. Toss gently; cover with a towel and set aside for 1 hour.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a food processor with the chopping blade, mince parsley and chives. Gather ends of cheesecloth, squeezing out as much liquid as possible. Add drained zucchini to food processor and process until pureed. Add the cream cheese, pepper and remaining salt; process until smooth.
- 3. Press pate into a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve with crackers. Yield: 1-1/2 cups.
One serving (1 tablespoon) equals 29 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 280 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.