Zucchini Hamburger Pie
You'll love the crispy golden crust and the hearty filling in this layered meat pie sent in by Margery Bryan. "It's a great way to use up homegrown zucchini," says the Royal City, Washington gardener. "Plus, the leftovers freeze superbly."
6-8 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Bake: 1 hour
- Pastry for a double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 4 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 4-1/2 cups)
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon each salt, dried oregano and dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of
- plate. Arrange half of the zucchini in pastry shell; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and green pepper over medium heat until
- meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the bread crumbs, Parmesan
- cheese, onion, salt, oregano, parsley and garlic salt. Spoon half
- over the zucchini; repeat layers. Arrange tomatoes over top.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Cut
- slits in top of pastry. Trim, flute and seal edges. Bake at 350°
- for 60-65 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes
- before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.