- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water
- 3 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Pinch sugar, optional
- Additional minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute the zucchini, onion, parsley and basil in butter until vegetables are tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in water. Add the bouillon and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the tomatoes, milk and corn; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until corn is tender.
- Just before serving, add cheeses; stir until melted. Stir in sugar. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Zucchini Garden Chowder
"Excellent!!! I too waited to add the cheese. Will make again!"
"Excellent soup, very flavorful and pretty simple to prepare."
"This is very good for a cool Fall day. It's great for a week night meal because it is so quick. I did use fat free evap milk and never added cheese, it was good without it."
"good considering there is a lot of zucchiniused half of cheese suggested, might try even less"
"This was quick and easy to make and very tasty. Next time I will try a can of fire roasted tomatoes for an extra kick. I also used fat free evaporated milk, omitted the cheeses, and used less butter for caloric reasons but still found it to be a yummy, rich tasting soup."
"Made this 1998 and have given the recipe to many. I don't put in the cheese until I'm ready to serve it otherwise it get gummy."
"So good! I do not use any parm cheese and less cheddar, more healthy and still so tasty."
"I have been making this recipe for years. I have also frozen it in individual containers for lunches."