Zucchini Garden Casserole Recipe
- 4 medium zucchini (about 1-1/2 pounds), sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup uncooked Minute® White Rice
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Colby cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, saute zucchini in oil until crisp-tender. Arrange half of the zucchini in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the tomatoes.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the rice, green pepper, onion, parsley, and seasonings. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Stir in tomato sauce. Spoon over tomato layer. Top with remaining tomatoes and zucchini.
- 3. Cover and bake at 375° for 1 hour or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Uncover and sprinkle with cheese. Bake 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 291 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 685 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.