Zucchini Dessert Squares Recipe
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold butter
- 8 to 10 cups cubed seeded peeled zucchini (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly; reserve 3 cups. Pat remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for filling, place zucchini and lemon juice in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 6-8 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender. Stir in the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; cover and simmer for 5 minutes (mixture will be thin).
- Spoon over crust; sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until golden. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Reviews for Zucchini Dessert Squares(22)
Sort By :
I love this dessert. I have fooled many people with this one. My only issue is because of the juiciness of the filling, the crest gets really hard. Ohh so delicious though.
A lot of recipes that call for zucchini, call for 1 or 2 cups. I loved using the 8-10 cups in this recipe!! I did use 1 cup oatmeal and 3 cups flour instead of the 4 cups flour. I used a bit less butter (maybe a 1/4 cup). The whole recipe calls for 3 cups of sugar and I cut it down to 1/4 brown and 1/4 white sugar in the crumb mixture and 1/3 cup white sugar in the filling. For those who don't like too sweet desserts, this still tasted sweet and delicious. It is definitely a make again recipe. My husband knew I was baking with zucchini, but looked really surprised with the first bite. He thought apple... like everyone else...
I usually don't rate recipes, but I had too with this one! AMAZING!!!! I did tweek a few things - taking a suggestion by adding 3/4c oatmeal & reduced the flour by the same & that could have been adjusted a tad more. I reduced the sugar in the crust down by 1/2c also. I couldn't wait for it to cool down before & cut into it & give it a try.....then I went back for another pc! Yes it was that good!! It was a tad sweet for me, & everyone else raved about it. My husband asked where I go the apples from & I told him there weren't any in it.....then he guessed (maybe knowing that I had alot of zucchini & i'm known for sneaking veggies into meals). This is a keeper & you'll know why it won a contest after you try it!!
Tasted JUST like apple cobbler! Great way to use up zucchini. Will be freezing some cubed up for this recipe
Made this recipe yesterday. Halved the recipe as it was previously suggested because there are only 3 persons here. Soooo delicious! There is no way someone tasting this would think it was zucchini, unless they saw you putting it together. The sweetness and tartness are perfect. I went out today and bought more zucchini's.