Zucchini Dessert Squares Recipe
We planted one too many zucchini plants a few summers ago and harvested a lot of zucchinis that year. I was looking for ways to use them...this delicious dessert is the result.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. YIELD:16-20 servings
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold butter
- 8 to 10 cups cubed seeded peeled zucchini (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly; reserve 3 cups. Pat remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 12 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, for filling, place zucchini and lemon juice in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 6-8 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender. Stir in the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; cover and simmer for 5 minutes (mixture will be thin).
- 3. Spoon over crust; sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until golden. Yield: 16-20 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 337 calories, 14 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 200 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC