Zucchini Cupcakes Recipe
I asked my grandmother for this recipe after trying these irresistible spice cupcakes at her home. I love their creamy caramel frosting. They're such a scrumptious dessert you actually forget you're eating your vegetables, too! —Virginia LaPierre, Greensboro Bend, Vermont
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:18-24 servings
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1-1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- CARAMEL FROSTING:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, oil, orange juice and extract. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to egg mixture and mix well. Stir in zucchini.
- 2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- 3. For frosting, combine the brown sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to lukewarm.
- 4. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cupcakes. Yield: 1-1/2 to 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 244 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 236 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC