Zucchini Corn Medley
One day when I was a girl, a neighbor brought over a dish similar to this one. I hadn't had it in 20 years but kept thinking about the fabulous flavor combination, so I decided to re-create it. I don't know if it's the same, but my family likes it today as much as I did back then.Marian Quaid-Maltagliati, Nipomo, California
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) hominy, drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded pepper Jack cheese
- In a 1-1/2-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine zucchini and water. Cover
- and microwave on high for 1-1/2 minutes; drain. Stir in the hominy,
- corn, jalapeno and salt. Cover and microwave on high for 2-3
- Sprinkle with cheese. Cook, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes until
- cheese is melted and vegetables are tender. Let stand for 2 minutes
- before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Editor’s Notes: We recommend wearing disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers. Avoid touching your face. This recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 167 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 810 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 7 g protein.