Zucchini Corn Bake Recipe
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1-3/4 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook the zucchini, corn and onion in 1 tablespoon butter until crisp-tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended.
- 2. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Transfer to a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 3. In a small skillet, saute the bread crumbs, garlic and oregano in remaining butter for 2-3 minutes or until crumbs are lightly browned. Sprinkle over vegetable mixture.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 4 servings.
3/4 cup equals 229 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 417 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.