- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1-3/4 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook the zucchini, corn and onion in 1 tablespoon butter until crisp-tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended.
- Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Transfer to a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a small skillet, saute the bread crumbs, garlic and oregano in remaining butter for 2-3 minutes or until crumbs are lightly browned. Sprinkle over vegetable mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Zucchini Corn Bake
"Wow...this was really much better than I thought it would be. I used a big zucchini from my garden and two ears of corn. My husband loved it and says it's a keeper. For the topping, I didn't have dry crumbs so I used soft wheat bread crumbs made from two slices whole wheat bread spun around in my mini-chopper with the garlic and fresh oregano from my garden. Toasted them up in a skillet with the butter as instructed. If I had to improve it, I might put the sliced zucchini in a colander and add some salt about an hour before assembling the casserole to cut down on the wateriness. It was overall a YUMMY recipe just as is. Thank you for sharing this simple, lovely way to use up my garden zucchini."
"I made this today to take over to my parents for a cook out. We all thought it was really good! I liked how quickly it came together and how rich it tasted, even though it was light. I will definitely make this again! Next time I may add some chopped red bell pepper to it, although I think you could add just about any veggies to it with great results!"
"This is delicious. I've made it with plain bread crumbs and Italian crumbs and both are great. I recommend it!"