There always seems to be a glut of zucchini...with every gardener having more than he or she can use! So I have spent lots of time looking for different uses for zucchini. One day I was thinking of my homemade chutney and suddenly decided to use zucchini in it. Now we serve it with almost anything - hot dogs, roast beef, chicken, as a sandwich spread - you name it.
14 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 45 min. + cooling
- 2 pounds small zucchini
- 1 tart apple, peeled
- 1 medium onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 jar (2 ounces) chopped pimientos, drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Peel zucchini and discard any large seeds; chop into small pieces
- (about 5 cups). Finely chop apple, onion and green pepper; place in
- a Dutch oven along with zucchini and remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, over medium heat
- until thick, about 45-55 minutes, stirring often. Cool. Ladle into
- jars; cover and refrigerate. Yield: about 3-1/2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 112 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 124 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.