Zucchini Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups shredded peeled zucchini
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter, oil and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Mix well. Stir in zucchini. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 piece: 333 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 173mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein .
Reviews for Zucchini Chocolate Cake
"Can't wait to try"
"Great for using up frozen grated zucchini not used for hubby's hunting muffins. This cake is SO moist it sticks to the roof of my mouth but who cares. I didn't frost mine. Didn't need it. Would recommend it and will be making it again."
"This was a nice, moist cake and a great way to use up zucchini. Thanks!"
"Surprisingly good! I forgot to peel the zucchini, but it didn't affect the flavour and texture. I only gave it 4 stars because it could be more chocolatey :)"
"The best chocolate zucchini cake recipe I've found."
"Great way to use op leftover zucchini! This cake was REALLY moist. And that is a good thing. You wouldn't think there was zucchini in it. You don't see the zucchini- this is a great recipe."
"I used one of those big, overgrown zucchinis. I scrubbed it well, cut it in half and discarded all the seeds. I shredded it with the skin on and, I suppose, retained some vitamins. I saw little green flecks in the cake, of course, but the texture and flavor was no different than cakes/breads I've made with little, peeled zucchinis."
"I added more chocolate chips than the recipe called for myself. It has no frosting as it is and it is a cake, after all. I love the spices in it. It's kind of reminiscent of that very first hint of fall."
"very good.. found it a little sweet, may use less sugar"
"This recipe is so easy to make, very tasty and full of chocolate flavor. When I made this recipe I used dark chocolate chips...yummy. I think when I make it again I will add the WHOLE bag of chocolate chips!"
"This cake is wonderful and SUPER EASY! I made it for my daughter's preschool class and the kids all wanted more! And it has zucchini so I can sneak in veggies without toddlers knowing!!"
"This is a keeper. Delicious. I'm not much of a cake lover but this is more than "just another cake recipe." Simple ingredients and easy to make."