- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups shredded peeled zucchini
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a bowl, cream butter, oil and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Mix well. Stir in zucchini. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Zucchini Chocolate Cake
"Can't wait to try"
"Great for using up frozen grated zucchini not used for hubby's hunting muffins. This cake is SO moist it sticks to the roof of my mouth but who cares. I didn't frost mine. Didn't need it. Would recommend it and will be making it again."
"This was a nice, moist cake and a great way to use up zucchini. Thanks!"
"Surprisingly good! I forgot to peel the zucchini, but it didn't affect the flavour and texture. I only gave it 4 stars because it could be more chocolatey :)"
"Great way to use op leftover zucchini! This cake was REALLY moist. And that is a good thing. You wouldn't think there was zucchini in it. You don't see the zucchini- this is a great recipe."
"I used one of those big, overgrown zucchinis. I scrubbed it well, cut it in half and discarded all the seeds. I shredded it with the skin on and, I suppose, retained some vitamins. I saw little green flecks in the cake, of course, but the texture and flavor was no different than cakes/breads I've made with little, peeled zucchinis."
"very good.. found it a little sweet, may use less sugar"