Zucchini Chip Chocolate Cake Recipe
This moist, chocolatey cake makes good use of summer’s bounty of zucchini. Serve it alone or with fresh berries. —Weda Mosellie, Phillipsburg, New Jersey
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling YIELD:15 servings
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar and oil until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine milk and buttermilk. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to batter alternately with milk mixture, beating well after each addition. Fold in zucchini.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 15 servings.
1 piece (calculated without confectioners' sugar) equals 341 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 248 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC