Zucchini Chip Chocolate Cake Recipe
This moist, chocolatey cake makes good use of summer’s bounty of zucchini. Serve it alone or with fresh berries. —Weda Mosellie, Phillipsburg, New Jersey
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar and oil until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine milk and buttermilk. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to batter alternately with milk mixture, beating well after each addition. Fold in zucchini.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 15 servings.
1 piece (calculated without confectioners' sugar) equals 341 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 248 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC