Zucchini Chip Bread Recipe
In Logan, Utah, Edie DeSpain bakes mild orange-flavored loaves that are chock-full of chocolate chips, nuts and spices. "This bread is easy to stir up, yet it tastes like you spent hours in the kitchen," she assures.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and baking powder. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, applesauce, oil, orange peel and vanilla. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the zucchini, nuts and chocolate chips. Transfer to two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 181 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 123 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC