Whenever I take this casserole to a potluck or serve it to guests, I get requests for the recipe. It was created by my friend Pat in Kansas City, Missouri, where my husband, Gene, and I lived until 1-1/2 years ago. Our two grown sons still live there. My sister-in-law gave me a gift subscription to CW last Christmas, and I saw the announcement for the zucchini recipe contest—in my very first issue. What a surprise to win!
Recommended: Top 10 Zucchini Recipes
- 3 whole chicken breasts, precooked, chopped in chunks (3/4-inch) or 4 cups chopped leftover chicken or turkey
- 6 cups diced unpeeled zucchini
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 carton (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 package chicken flavor stuffing mix
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Combine zucchini and onion in medium saucepan, add water to cover and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes; drain and cool. Combine carrots, soup, sour cream and garlic powder in large bowl. Add zucchini/onion and chicken; mix.
- Spread in greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. For topping, melt butter in skillet, add bread stuffing and seasoning packet and toss well. Sprinkle over casserole. Top with cheese if desired. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Zucchini Casserole in Country Woman May/June 1987, p29
Reviews for Zucchini Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 11, 2012
"Made this last night! It was excellent!!"
Reviewed Aug. 10, 2009
"This recipe is delicious. The family loved it. I added 1 cup of cubed cooked ham in addition to the chicken - was very good."
Reviewed Jun. 1, 2009
"Can you substitute plain yoghurt for the sour cream? Or soy yoghurt?"