Zucchini Carrot Spice Cake Recipe
My family has quite a sweet tooth, but I like to serve treats like this that are good for them, too.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 egg whites
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1 carton (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 jar (7-1/2 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Gradually add the buttermilk, applesauce, carrots, zucchini and vanilla. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into batter.
- 2. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, marshmallow creme, orange juice and vanilla just until combined. Frost cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Analysis: 1 piece equals 291 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 325 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC