- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 egg whites
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1 carton (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 jar (7-1/2 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Gradually add the buttermilk, applesauce, carrots, zucchini and vanilla. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into batter.
- Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, marshmallow creme, orange juice and vanilla just until combined. Frost cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Zucchini Carrot Spice Cake
Sort By :
"A friend gave me a bunch of zucchini from her garden so I've been using them creatively. I took this cake to a get-together and it was the most raved about dish! In high altitude I can't always get my cakes to stay moist, but this was moist and the only adjustment I made was adding a bit of the orange juice to the cake mixture."
"Fabulous !!! I left out nutmeg and added 1/2 cup chopped raisinslove the new frosting, so much lighter than just plain cream cheese frosting."
"This was an excellent healthy dessert. The cake was very moist and the frosting was great."