Zucchini Burgers Recipe
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 3 hard-cooked egg whites, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 slices onion
- 1. In a sieve or colander, drain zucchini, squeezing to remove excess liquid. Pat dry. In a small bowl, combine the zucchini, onion, bread crumbs, eggs, salt and cayenne. Gently stir in cooked egg whites.
- 2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Drop batter by scant 2/3 cupfuls into oil; press lightly to flatten. Fry in batches until golden brown on both sides, using remaining oil as needed.
- 3. Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato and onion. Yield: 4 servings.
1 burger equals 314 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 106 mg cholesterol, 467 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.