- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 3 hard-cooked egg whites, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 slices onion
- In a sieve or colander, drain zucchini, squeezing to remove excess liquid. Pat dry. In a small bowl, combine the zucchini, onion, bread crumbs, eggs, salt and cayenne. Gently stir in cooked egg whites.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Drop batter by scant 2/3 cupfuls into oil; press lightly to flatten. Fry in batches until golden brown on both sides, using remaining oil as needed.
- Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato and onion. Yield: 4 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Zucchini Burgers(11)
Sort By :
this should be an all time favorite of all us zuke lovers,it has about everything with it that makes it so great and fullfilling.
I first made according to directions. Just like other readers, bland and fell apart. I then changed up the recipe. I processed 2 slices of 12 grain bread and didn't dry the zucchini. I added cilantro, finely chopped peppers (I had red on hand) 1 finely chopped jalapeno pepper, cracked black pepper and I made them the night before and let them "rest" in the fridge covered in plastic over night. I grilled them on the grill in a fish basket so that I didn't have to handle them any extra but could just flip the whole thing at once. These turned out fabulous this way. I did make a chipolata mayo for the condiment. Family liked them this way even the grandkids!
As other people said, rather bland--and I even added extra spices!
They did keep falling apart but I enjoyed them. I used red onion which I thought worked well. Zucchini is bland, if you like more spice then I would suggest adding more cayenne or other spice.
I made these small, added extra cayenne pepper and they were great! Served them on toasted English muffins with tomato and lettuce. We will make them again.
More Recipe Collections
- Burger Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Sandwich Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Sandwich Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Sandwiches >
- Sandwiches >
- Squash Recipes >