- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 3 hard-cooked egg whites, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 slices onion
- In a sieve or colander, drain zucchini, squeezing to remove excess liquid. Pat dry. In a small bowl, combine the zucchini, onion, bread crumbs, eggs, salt and cayenne. Gently stir in cooked egg whites.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Drop batter by scant 2/3 cupfuls into oil; press lightly to flatten. Fry in batches until golden brown on both sides, using remaining oil as needed.
- Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato and onion. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Zucchini Burgers
Sort By :
"this should be an all time favorite of all us zuke lovers,it has about everything with it that makes it so great and fullfilling."
"I first made according to directions. Just like other readers, bland and fell apart. I then changed up the recipe. I processed 2 slices of 12 grain bread and didn't dry the zucchini. I added cilantro, finely chopped peppers (I had red on hand) 1 finely chopped jalapeno pepper, cracked black pepper and I made them the night before and let them "rest" in the fridge covered in plastic over night. I grilled them on the grill in a fish basket so that I didn't have to handle them any extra but could just flip the whole thing at once. These turned out fabulous this way. I did make a chipolata mayo for the condiment. Family liked them this way even the grandkids!"
"As other people said, rather bland--and I even added extra spices!"
"They did keep falling apart but I enjoyed them. I used red onion which I thought worked well. Zucchini is bland, if you like more spice then I would suggest adding more cayenne or other spice."
"I made these small, added extra cayenne pepper and they were great! Served them on toasted English muffins with tomato and lettuce. We will make them again."