After working hard all our lives and raising a family, we're now enjoying a simpler life. That back-to-the-basics approach includes down-home foods like this. - Mrs. C. Thon, Altin, British Columbia
4 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 medium zucchini (about 8 inches)
- 3/4 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Trim the ends off zucchini. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; scoop
- out pulp, leaving 1/2-in. shells. Finely chop pulp.
- In a skillet, cook beef, zucchini pulp, onion, mushrooms and peppers
- over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from
- the heat. Add 1/2 cup cheese, ketchup, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Spoon into the zucchini shells. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in.
- baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until zucchini is
- tender. Yield: 4 servings.
When scooping out the pulp for Zucchini Boats, a teaspoon is just the right size. Use your food processor or blender to finely chop the pulp quickly.