- 2 medium zucchini (about 8 inches)
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Trim the ends off zucchini. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving 1/2-in. shells. Finely chop pulp.
- In a skillet, cook beef, zucchini pulp, onion, mushrooms and peppers over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat. Add 1/2 cup cheese, ketchup, salt and pepper; mix well. Spoon into the zucchini shells. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Zucchini Boats
"Fantastic! We used Jimmy Dean regular sausage instead, which was a little extra kick. Yummy!"
"made this last night for supper ~ everyone enjoyed them ~ easy to make and yummy ~ will make them again"
"My family loves this recipe. We make it several times each summer. Even the grandkids love it."
"This recipe was fantastic! I used tomato sauce instead of ketchup and added a spalsh of green tabasco sauce along with the seasonings and served it with brown jasmine rice. The whole meal was so fresh and filling without being heavy. Will be a dish I make year-round for sure!"
"Love it! I added some Italian bread crumbs."