Looking for a different way to serve a bounty of zucchini? Try this soup sent in by Germaine Stank of Pound, Wisconsin. A food processor hurries along preparation of the thick-full-flavored blend that's accented by just a hint of nutmeg.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Sour cream and additional nutmeg, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute zucchini and onion in butter for 5-6
- minutes or until tender. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Transfer to a food processor; cover and process on low until smooth.
- Return to the pan. Stir in the cream, salt, basil, pepper and
- nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-2
- minutes or until heated through. Garnish with sour cream and
- additional nutmeg if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 306 calories, 30 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 95 mg cholesterol, 857 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.