Zucchini Anise Bread Recipe
Bushels of late-summer zucchini always put me in the Christmas spirit--thanks to this garden-fresh holiday bread I make. The anise lends a unique licorice-like flavor and fragrance to every piece...and the zucchini gives it such a moist texture.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon aniseed
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-2/3 cups shredded peeled zucchini
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup shredded carrot
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In another bowl, combine oil, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients; mix well. Stir in zucchini, walnuts, raisins and carrot. Spoon into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves.
Originally published as Zucchini Anise Bread in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1998, p15
Reviews for Zucchini Anise Bread(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review