- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 small zucchini, chopped (about 7 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups crushed Rice Chex
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and onion; cook and stir 10-12 minutes or until crisp-tender. Transfer to a bowl; cool slightly.
- In a microwave, melt remaining butter. Drizzle over cereal and toss to coat.
- Stir cheese, eggs, salt and pepper into zucchini mixture; transfer to a greased 8-in.-square baking dish. Sprinkle with cereal mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Zucchini & Cheese Casserole
Sort By :
Great recipe. Everyone loved it and will certainly be making it again.
I thought this was a great summer idea. I used half zucchini and half yellow squash because it's what I had. Have to cut the sodium way down at our house so I didn't salt, actually used 1/2 t of Mrs. Dash no salt Fiesta Lime seasoning, used swiss cheese ( a lot less sodium) and I used crushed Ritz crackers that are the "hint of salt" kind instead of cereal. Still tasty.
This was easy to prepare. Used crushed corn flakes as I didn't want to go buy Rice Chex. I didn't have enough zucchini so added fresh sliced mushrooms and sliced pre-cooked Jimmy Dean turkey sausages to "bulk it up." Also added a little extra cheese. Made a great main dish. Next time I might sub pepper jack cheese and crushed tortilla chips for a tex mex version. Just have to figure out how to incorporate salsa and/or tomatoes.
Very good, everyone loved it. I used crushed butter flavored crackers on top because I didn't have the cereal.
As a zucchini lover, I really appreciate this easy casserole. The zucchini absorbs the flavors from the cheese really well. I didn't have rice chex and used cracker crumbs instead. Definitely will make again.