Ziti with Vegetables Recipe
- 12 ounces uncooked ziti or other medium pasta
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen broccoli, carrots and water chestnuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring 1 in. of water to a boil; place vegetables in a steamer basket over water. Cover and steam for 5-7 minutes or until tender.
- 2. In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, combine the oil, butter, basil, marjoram, thyme and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute. Combine cornstarch, broth and wine or additional broth until smooth; stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Drain pasta. Add pasta and vegetables to the sauce; toss to combine. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 181 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 500 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.