“Most lasagnas have too much salt and fat for me, so I came up with this version,” notes Dorothea Rickner of Rochester, New York. “It’s fairly easy to prepare and goes great with a salad and toasted garlic bread.”
Recommended: 42 Better-for-You Pasta Recipes
- 2 cups uncooked ziti or small tube pasta
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash pepper
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook ziti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and pepper. Cook and stir until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Drain pasta. Spread half of the meat sauce in a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with half of the ziti, ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 3 servings.
Originally published as Ziti Lasagna in Cooking for 2 Fall 2005, p64
Reviews for Ziti Lasagna
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 13, 2012
"this just did not work. my husband who will eat almost anything didn't even like it."