"A creamy dressing, lots of flavor an unexpected hint of nutmeg make this hearty pasta dish so delicious i can't resist fixing it often," relates Emma Magielda of Amsterdam, New York.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 ounces uncooked ziti or small tube pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash white pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- In a small saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender; set aside. Cook ziti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Reduce heat; slowly add milk.
- Stir in half-and-half. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add the Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Add the tomatoes, spinach and onion mixture; heat through. Drain the ziti; toss with vegetable mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Ziti Alfredo with Vegetables in Light & Tasty August/September 2002, p60
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Ziti Alfredo with Vegetables
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 14, 2009
"Absolutely wonderful! Even better than my full fat version! Thank you!"