Zippy White Chili
"This chunky chicken chili doesn't require any fancy preparation or exotic ingredients," notes Jenny Schmidtbauer of Sioux Falls, South Dakota. "I like to serve the zesty mixture over crunchy tortilla chips," she adds.
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Low-fat tortilla chips, optional
- In a saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute chicken and onion
- until juices run clear; drain if desired. Stir in broth, chilies,
- garlic powder, oregano, cilantro and cayenne. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in beans; cook 10 minutes longer. Serve over tortilla chips if
- desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (calculated without tortilla chips) equals 235 calories, 4 g fat (0 saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 428 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch,