Zippy Vegetarian Chili Recipe
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, undrained
- 2 small zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the first 15 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 12 servings (about 3 quarts).
1 cup equals 210 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 524 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Reviews for Zippy Vegetarian Chili
"Love it, It's not often I can find good vegetarian recipes, but this one is great! Thanks so much."
"The onions could use sauteeing, they were crunchy. I substituted navy beans for the pintos, left out the zucchini and used veg. broth instead of water. I also used Carroll Shelby's chili mix. Ahh - also added garlic powder for more flavor."