Zippy Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 4 teaspoons fat-free sour cream
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the onion, green pepper and carrot in oil until tender. Add the beans, tomatoes, water and salsa.
- 2. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Top each serving with a teaspoon of sour cream. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup equals 195 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 290 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Zippy Vegetable Soup
"This is a tastey soup. Much better than expected. I will make it again. Since recipe only calls for 1/4 cup salsa, I recommend using medium or hot salsa to give it more zip. I used mild and then decided to add a dash of chili powder to give it more flavor. I like this recipe because it's a relatively low sodium recipe. I used no salt diced tomatoes."