Zippy Vegetable Chili Recipe
Pinto beans lend protein while vegetables provide homegrown goodness and pretty color to this chunky chili recipe from Patricia Gibson of Ferguson, North Carolina. Green chilies and salsa add a spicy kick to the broth.
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring onions, peppers and broth to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, salsa and seasonings; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes. Add beans and corn; simmer 5 minutes longer or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Garnish each serving with cheese. Yield: 7 servings.
1 cup: 157 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 946mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 10g protein.
Reviews for Zippy Vegetable Chili
Reviewed Aug. 14, 2012
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC