- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 fat-free flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- In a skillet, saute onion and garlic powder in oil until the onion is tender. Add turkey, vinegar, chili powder, oregano, cumin and cayenne; cook and stir over medium heat until turkey is no longer pink. Stir in beans. Remove from the heat. Combine salsa and broth; spread a thin layer in a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cut tortillas into 1-in. strips and then into thirds; arrange half over salsa mixture. Top with half of the turkey mixture and half of the remaining salsa mixture. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Top servings with sour cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Zippy Turkey Tortilla Bake in Quick Cooking March/April 1999, p17
Reviews for Zippy Turkey Tortilla Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 14, 2012
"I make this every time ground turkey is on sale. It's fine to use the whole 20 oz package of turkey. We really like the mixture of tortillas and southwestern flavor."