Zippy Turkey and Rice Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 2/3 cup picante sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1. Cook rice according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, picante sauce, chili powder and cumin; heat though. Remove from the heat, stir in kidney beans, 1/2 cup cheese and cooked rice.
- 3. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 4. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/4 cups equals 294 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 593 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.