Hearty and healthful, this yummy casserole is chock-full of rice, beans, tomatoes and cheese. Serve it with fresh fruit or a side salad for a comforting, satisfying meal. Kathleen Lindgren - Hackensack, Minnesota
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 2/3 cup picante sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, picante sauce, chili powder and cumin; heat though. Remove from the heat, stir in kidney beans, 1/2 cup cheese and cooked rice.
- Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Zippy Turkey and Rice in Healthy Cooking June/July 2010, p57
Reviews for Zippy Turkey and Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review