- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Dash pepper
- 2 pounds beef top round steak (1/2 inch thick)
- In a saucepan, saute onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons of oil. Add tomatoes, chilies and 1 teaspoon salt. Simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, combine flour, pepper and remaining salt. Cut steak into serving-size pieces; dredge in flour mixture. In a skillet, brown steak on both sides in remaining oil. Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Set aside half of the tomato mixture; pour remaining mixture over steak.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 2 hours or until meat is tender. Heat reserved tomato mixture and serve with steak. Yield: 6 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now
Reviews for Zippy Swiss Steak
Sort By :
Wonderful recipe!! Used rotel tomatoes, 3 cans, instead of green chilies and diced tomatoes. Was just spicy enough without being too spicy. I baked the steak with all the sauce. It was delicious!! My husband loved it too!! This will be made again!!