Zippy Sweet-and-Sour Meat Loaf Recipe
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 5 tablespoons ketchup, divided
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the egg, 2 tablespoons ketchup, mustard, bread crumbs, dry soup mix, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into an oval loaf.
- 2. Place in a shallow 1-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 10-12 minutes or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°; drain.
- 3. Meanwhile in a small bowl, combine the sugars, vinegar and remaining ketchup; drizzle over meat loaf. Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 4 servings.
4 ounce-weight: 353 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 122mg cholesterol, 944mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein .
Reviews for Zippy Sweet-and-Sour Meat Loaf
"This makes boring, ordinary meatloaf, into mouth watering, extraordinary meatloaf! I bake in the oven also. I don't cook in microwave ovens. Bake this in the oven for best results."
"This is DELICIOUS!!"
"I made this for my husband because he loves meatloaf and I didn't have a recipe of my own!! I am not a real fan of meatloaf but as soon as I tasted this recipe I absolutely loved it!! This is the only recipe we use and will ever use!!! My children love this meatloaf and usually ask for seconds!! I also bake this in the oven because we don't have a microwave."
"Been making this for 20 plus years. It is the favorite of my family. My kids call it Mom's Meatloaf. I bake it in the oven instead of microwave. 350 for 1-1/4 hours."
"This is super good - not your average bland meatloaf! I did it in the oven though, can't really remember how long but I think it was over an hour at 350."
"Love this recipe. It's quick and so good. My family loves it."
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.