Zippy Strata Recipe
The taste of this sandwich bake will remind you of pizza. Red tomatoes add color...the cayenne delivers the zip. -Jean Pare`, Vermilion, Alberta
- 12 slices white bread, divided
- 6 slices process mozzarella cheese
- 15 thin slices tomato
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 3 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Line a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish with 6 bread slices. Layer with mozzarella cheese, tomato, mushrooms, minced onion and remaining bread.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, seasonings, milk and eggs until smooth. Pour over bread; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Uncover; bake at 325° for 1-1/4 hours or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6-12 servings.
1 each: 214 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 476mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein.
Reviews for Zippy Strata
Reviewed Apr. 18, 2011
"excellent, bursting with flavour"
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC