The taste of this sandwich bake will remind you of pizza. Red tomatoes add color...the cayenne delivers the zip. -Jean Pare`, Vermilion, Alberta
Recommended: 40 Tex-Mex Recipes Bursting With Southwestern Flavor
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 12 slices white bread, divided
- 6 slices process mozzarella cheese
- 15 thin slices tomato
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 3 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Line a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish with 6 bread slices. Layer with mozzarella cheese, tomato, mushrooms, minced onion and remaining bread.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, seasonings, milk and eggs until smooth. Pour over bread; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Uncover; bake at 325° for 1-1/4 hours or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6-12 servings.
Originally published as Zippy Strata in Taste of Home August/September 2000, p57
Reviews forZippy Strata
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 18, 2011
"excellent, bursting with flavour"