Zippy Steak Chili Recipe
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) chili starter
- Shredded cheddar cheese, chopped onion and sour cream, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook steak and onion in oil over medium heat until meat is browned. Sprinkle with seasonings.
- 2. In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine tomatoes and chili starter. Stir in beef mixture. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Serve with cheese, onion and sour cream if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
1 cup (calculated without optional toppings) equals 275 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 1,127 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.