Looking for a thick, chunky chili with a little extra-special kick for Super Bowl Sunday? Try this recipe from Denise Habib in Poolesville, Maryland. “It was given to me by a co-worker originally from Texas,” she recalls. “I've made it on numerous occasions and always get rave reviews.”
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) chili starter
- Shredded cheddar cheese, chopped onion and sour cream, optional
- In a large skillet, cook steak and onion in oil over medium heat until meat is browned. Sprinkle with seasonings.
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine tomatoes and chili starter. Stir in beef mixture. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Serve with cheese, onion and sour cream if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Zippy Steak Chili in Quick Cooking January/February 2006, p55
Reviews for Zippy Steak Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review