Zippy Spanish Rice Soup
I created this recipe after ruining a dinner of Spanish rice. I tried to salvage the dish by adding more water, cilantro and green chiles. It was a hit with the whole family. It's hearty enough to be a main meal with the addition of a garden salad and some corn bread.Marilyn Schetz, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro flakes
- 1/2 cup uncooked converted rice
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat
- is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the water, salsa,
- tomatoes, red peppers, chilies, taco seasoning and cilantro. Stir in
- rice. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until rice is tender.
- Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).