- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro flakes
- 1/2 cup uncooked converted rice
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the water, salsa, tomatoes, red peppers, chilies, taco seasoning and cilantro. Stir in rice. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until rice is tender. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Zippy Spanish Rice Soup
Sort By :
"Hearty dish! I made a "few" changes. Sauted 5 cloves of garlic with the onions, in the hamburger drippings. 32oz beef broth instead of water, 2c brown rice & tomato sauce instead of diced tomatoes. Brought the liquids to boil before adding the rice. I don't buy taco seasoning. Used 1T chili powder & 1/2 tsp cumin. Added some canned corn too. Served it with sour cream & cayenne pepper powder, to pass. & a pan of corn bread. Big hit!"
"needs more rice. the rice kind of disapesars with just a 1/2 cup"