Zippy Spanish Rice Soup Recipe
I created this recipe after ruining a dinner of Spanish rice. I tried to salvage the dish by adding more water, cilantro and green chiles. It was a hit with the whole family. It's hearty enough to be a main meal with the addition of a garden salad and some corn bread.—Marilyn Schetz, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro flakes
- 1/2 cup uncooked converted rice
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the water, salsa, tomatoes, red peppers, chilies, taco seasoning and cilantro. Stir in rice. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until rice is tender. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Zippy Spanish Rice Soup in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2009, p13
Reviews for Zippy Spanish Rice Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 27, 2014
I made this with chicken, but otherwise followed this. What a hit!
Reviewed Nov. 9, 2011
needs more rice. the rice kind of disapesars with just a 1/2 cup