Zippy Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
- 1 to 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, cheese, wine, olives, parsley, oregano, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: about 3 quarts.
1 cup: 212 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 704mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 18g protein.
Reviews for Zippy Spaghetti Sauce
"The sauce was pretty good, but it seemed like it was missing something. I left out the olives because my family does not care for them, but I would like to add something else to take their place. Maybe that would add more flavor. I served it with roasted brussel sprouts, and whole grain spaghetti, and overall it was well liked."
"This was extremely bland and tasteless. I won't be making it again."
"This was really, really good! I threw this into the crockpot between church and going to the symphony because I knew I'd be short on time for making dinner by the time I got home again. I had this delicious sauce waiting for pasta when I returned. Very simple, very hearty and chunky, and quite tasty! My husband really hates jarred sauce, but he liked this very much. It really made a lot, too! We had lots of leftovers, and then I finally froze the last of it for a quick meal some other time."
"This is the best spaghetti sauce I've ever made on my own. It's easy to throw together and makes a lot so there's some to freeze. This will be my go to recipe from now on."
"my family thought it was a great spaghetti sauce, so we'll definetely make it again. I never have time to slow cook it though so i just simmer it awhile on the stove and it still tastes great. i also use it for my lasagna and was told that it was the best lasagna they'd ever had."
"This is our family's favorite spaghetti sauce recipe. We would rather have this than any sauce we have had in a restaurant. It makes a large amount and we always have extra sauce to freeze."
"This is a great alternative to jar sauce. I'm not fond of green peppers so I added some green olives with pimentos and some zucchini from the garden. I also used fresh herbs because they are so bold."
"Cover and cook on low for 6 hours."