"This thick and hearty sauce goes a long way to fill a hungry family!" says Elaine Priest from her home in Dover, Pennsylvania. "Any leftovers they enjoy another day ladled over thick grilled slices of garlic bread. To make sure I have the ingredients on hand, I keep a bag of chopped green pepper in my freezer and minced garlic in my fridge-always!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
- 1 to 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, cheese, wine, olives, parsley, oregano, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: about 3 quarts.
Originally published as Zippy Spaghetti Sauce in Simple & Delicious January/February 2007, p37
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Zippy Spaghetti Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review