Zippy Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
- 1 to 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, cheese, wine, olives, parsley, oregano, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: about 3 quarts.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Zippy Spaghetti Sauce
Sort By :
This was extremely bland and tasteless. I won't be making it again.
This was really, really good! I threw this into the crockpot between church and going to the symphony because I knew I'd be short on time for making dinner by the time I got home again. I had this delicious sauce waiting for pasta when I returned. Very simple, very hearty and chunky, and quite tasty! My husband really hates jarred sauce, but he liked this very much. It really made a lot, too! We had lots of leftovers, and then I finally froze the last of it for a quick meal some other time.
This is the best spaghetti sauce I've ever made on my own. It's easy to throw together and makes a lot so there's some to freeze. This will be my go to recipe from now on.
very quick and easy!
my family thought it was a great spaghetti sauce, so we'll definetely make it again. I never have time to slow cook it though so i just simmer it awhile on the stove and it still tastes great. i also use it for my lasagna and was told that it was the best lasagna they'd ever had.