Zippy Slow-Cooked Chili Recipe
Serve up steaming bowls of this chili to warm your family on a cold winter's day...and you'll get plenty of compliments! Travis Skroch of Stratford, Wisconsin shared the recipe for the nicely spiced chili that simmers all day in the slow cooker.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 6 hours YIELD:6 servings
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) vegetarian chili with beans
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 6 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1. In a nonstick skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Add the tomatoes, onion, green pepper, chili, tomato sauce, chili powder, parsley, basil, cumin, garlic, oregano, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with cheese and chives before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups equals 266 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 759 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC