Tomatoes, pimientos and green pepper add festive color to this zippy rice side dish. It complements just about any meat but is particularly good with chicken. To turn the recipe into a main dish for a light supper, just add 3/4 pound of browned ground beef. -Dorothy Bateman, Carver, Massachusetts
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup diced pimientos
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, saute rice in butter for 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring constantly. Add the green pepper, onion and garlic. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the tomatoes, pimientos, chili powder, salt, pepper and turmeric. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Zippy Skillet Rice in Taste of Home June/July 1998, p31
Reviews for Zippy Skillet Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 3, 2011
"This was very delicious! I added one 8oz can of tomato sauce and it wasn't dry at all. Great flavor."
Reviewed Jun. 14, 2011
"Only fair. Somewhat dry."