Zippy Skillet Rice Recipe
Tomatoes, pimientos and green pepper add festive color to this zippy rice side dish. It complements just about any meat but is particularly good with chicken. To turn the recipe into a main dish for a light supper, just add 3/4 pound of browned ground beef. -Dorothy Bateman, Carver, Massachusetts
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup diced pimientos
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, saute rice in butter for 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring constantly. Add the green pepper, onion and garlic. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the tomatoes, pimientos, chili powder, salt, pepper and turmeric. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Zippy Skillet Rice in Taste of Home June/July 1998, p31
Reviews for Zippy Skillet Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 3, 2011
"This was very delicious! I added one 8oz can of tomato sauce and it wasn't dry at all. Great flavor."
Reviewed Jun. 14, 2011
"Only fair. Somewhat dry."